I am a huge admirer of Jen Kingwell's work and when her Steampunk quilt pattern came out it quickly made it on my "bucket list" of quilt projects. So over the summer I decided it was time to tackle all of the curves. The majority of the fabrics that I used were from my scraps. The only fabrics I purchased were for the sashing and the backing. I spent countless hours at my machine during nap times just stitching up those curves. I have never pinned so much in my life!!! Eventually it started to come together and I was falling in love. My goal with this quilt was to step outside of my normal fabric choices and to be a little more eclectic. I tried to stay away from my usual brights and lean more toward low volume, muted or dark tones.
Making this quilt was such a good exercise for me. I had to step back and really think about making different choices. So often I feel like I fall into a rut where many of my projects start to look the same after a while and this really helped me feel creative again.
I did make the quilt a little larger than the pattern called for. The hubs is a tall guy so we like big quilts around our house! I now have my eye on the Gypsy Wife pattern.
I am linking this quilt up with the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side.